Thursday, May 30, 2013

Identity

To support my students' identity development, I will: 

  • Read literature with diverse characters and authors and make sure to point out different career choices.
  • Invite guest speakers who relate the the theme of the literature we are reading to talk about their professions.
  • Encourage them to talk to school counselors and invite the counselors into my classroom on a regular basis so the students will be familiar with them.
  • Encourage service projects at organizations that students have interest in. For example, if a student is considering becoming a veterinarian  I would encourage him or her to volunteer at the humane society or animal shelter.
  • Notice and discuss trends and fads that my students are following.
  • Have clear consequences for undesirable behavior.
  • Give students examples of what I expect from them by showing them previous students' work that has been done well.
  • Criticize undesirable behaviors and never criticize the person who does that behavior.
(most of these ideas are from pg. 106 in Educational Psychology by Anita Woolfolk)

No comments:

Post a Comment