Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Constructivism

When teaching conventions of Standard American English and why it is used academically in a constructivist way, I would engage the class by speaking in a dialect different than my own. Maybe I'll speak with a southern accent and then switch to a New England accent (if I can). Once the students are engaged and wondering why I am speaking differently, the students will explore through a short webquest done in groups of 4. The students will explain to the class what they found and why they came up with that explanation. To elaborate students would choose something specific that they learned from the webquest to research farther. They would write a paper and do a short presentation about their findings. To conclude learning about why Standard English is the one used in academics, I would have the students evaluate what the lesson means to them in a pair and share, then write their self-evaluations in a minute paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment