Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Information Processing

When teaching students how to evaluate a speech using the information processing model, I will get my students attention by singing the first lines of the Beatles song "Come together, right now" and the students will sing "Over me." Once I have their attention, I will have them activate prior knowledge by recalling a speech they have heard and thinking about what they remember most about it. Then as a class we will discuss important parts of speeches including point of view, reasoning, rhetoric, and evidence. We will repeat a chant of those four elements of speeches and at the same time I will show pictures relating to each element. The chant with the pictures is dual-coding the information that they need to know. The encode into the long term memory we will watch and evaluate a speech that is relevant to their lives and then the students will have to write and deliver their own speech using the four elements we learned. This will probably be a week long unit rather than just a single lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment